If you operate a service singled-handed, without a staff team, you are still obliged to comply with regulation and have a set of policies suitable for your service under the Child Care Act 1991, (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016 and under the Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) (Registration of school Age Services) Regulations 2018.
If you are working on your own, developing a set of written procedures can be time-consuming.
You need to have the following policies in place at a minimum:
- Statement of Purpose and Function
- Administration of Medication
- Infection Control
- Managing Behaviour [Supporting Positive Behaviour]
- Safe Sleep (for sessional only)
- Fire Safety
- Outings [where children attending the service are brought on outings]
- Accidents and Incidents
- Authorisation to collect Children
- Healthy Eating (for sessional only)
- Outdoor Play [where such play is provided to children attending the service] (for sessional only)
- Overnight Services [where the service is an overnight preschool service]
- Internet, Photographic and Recording Devices Use(for sessional only)
- Risk Management (for sessional only)
If you are running a single-handed afterschool you will also need a set of child-friendly policies.