The Regulations pertaining to School Age Services was published in 2018 and came in to effect in 2019.
If you operate a service stand-alone, within a day care or sessional setting or in a school, sports club or other community venue you must comply with the Child Care Act 1991, (Early Years Services) (Registration of School Age Services) Regulations 2018.
- New services cannot open prior to being assessed by TUSLA
- Existing Services (not already registered) are required to register within 3 months of the commencement date above
- The ratio is set at 1 adult: 12 children
- All employees, unpaid workers and contractors must be garda vetted and police checked
- The provider must have 2 references and references are also required for all other employees, unpaid workers and contractors
Services are required to have 7 mandatory policies under these regulations but in addition a Child Safeguarding Statement (Children First 2015) and a Safety Statement (Safety, Health and Welfare at work Act 2005).
The mandatory policies are:
- Administration of Medication
- Infection Control
- Managing Behaviour
- Dropping off and Collection of children
- Statement of Purpose and Function
- Fire safety
You are also obliged to have a set of child-friendly policies available for children.